Meeting Minutes – 2012-02-17
MLA Dallas TX
February 17, 2012 @ 5:00-6:00pm
Minutes from GNYMLA Chapter
- Jane Gottlieb announced that the next IAML meeting will take place in Montreal, Canada July 22-27, 2012. In 2015 IAML and IMS will will hold a joint annual conference in New York City. The 60th anniversary of RILM will be celebrated at this event Barbara McKenzie and Jane Gottlieb are in charge of local arrangements for this joint meeting. Jane asked for volunteers to help run and raise funds for this event, please email her at gottlieb@Julliard.edu if you are interested. In coming months information regarding this joint conference will be posted on local and national music library list-serves as it becomes available. We were informed that the Julliard School and J.J. College will be the facilities where much of the meetings and presentations will take place. In addition to some local hotels, the Julliard residence halls will host travelers for the week.
- Andy Toulas (Chair) introduced the newly elected officers for GNYMLA. Arsi Ioannidou is now the Secretary/Treasurer (2011-2013) and Sally Bauer is the Vice-Chair (2011-2014). Unfortunately, Sally could not attend the 2012 MLA National Conference.
- Since our new election policy is in effect (electing an officer every year) in 2012 we will have elections for a new Chair this coming summer/fall. A nominating committee will be selected in accordance with our local by-laws in the coming months. In 2013 we will have elections for the new Secretary/Treasurer and in 2014 for the new Vice-Chair.
- The Secreatry/Treasurer (Arsi) is currently researching new banks to hold GNYMLA membership funds. Bank of America, our current institution, has increased their fees to an unacceptable level.
- There was talk of possibly meeting at the NYPL facility in Long Island City to discuss and present what we have learned at the Dallas conference to members who could not make the trip. One topic of particular interest to the group was a new document entitled “Code in Best Practices of Fair Use…” which can be found here http://www.arl.org/bm~doc/code-of-best-practices-fair-use.pdf (link opens as PDF).
- The group freely discussed their impressions from the meeting in Dallas with the remaining time left at the meeting.